Thursday, June 2, 2011

Settling In

Once again, I must apologize for the length of time between posts.  It has been a crazy month that has gone MUCH too quickly!

We have been keeping busy with unpacking, getting settled, doing laundry and dishes, etc.  It doesn't feel like "our" house to me yet.  Or at least, it all feels surreal still.  Almost like we're visiting.  I think it will take awhile to really feel like it is OUR house. 

In a little over a week, we leave for vacation.  My mom's family is having a reunion.  It will be fun to see people I haven't seen in awhile and to spend time with cousins and their kiddos.  My kids are, of course, very excited to see their second cousins; they will also get to meet some second cousins that they have never met, which will also be a lot of fun.  There are three pools and free kayaks and paddle boats and biking at the resort where we are staying; I am hoping for some quiet relaxing time with my cousin in between all the activity with the kids.  I am also very  much looking forward to stopping to visit my best friend Shannon on our way home.  A year between visits is about all I can take.

As soon as we get home, I start my summer class, which is six weeks long, and also a summer practicum working with kids with special needs ages birth to 3.  I'm somewhat looking forward to that, but also getting tired of classes.  Thankfully, this is my last class before I do student teaching.  I am, however, considering taking some additional classes for an autism specialization; but I haven't decided for sure yet.

We have officially been placed back on the foster-to-adopt list (we were previously on the adopt-only list, as we were in our tiny house waiting to move).  I am excited for what God has in store for our family, and praying over our children - both present and future - every day.  I have to admit that at times lately, I have gotten nervous that we would get a call for kids while we are on vacation; but then the Holy Spirit quietly reminds me that God already sees our children and knows where they are and when they will come to us, and He is not going to send them to us when we are not here!  

We are finishing up the end of our school year.  I was hoping that this would be our last week, but Hunter doesn't seem to want to buckle down and do what needs to be done in order to finish this week, so we shall see after tomorrow where we are at.  We are, once again, doing school during the summer.  I decided when we started last fall that we would take a year-round schedule approach to homeschooling; Hunter did so much better in the fall when he kept up with the work over the summer than he did the year before after having 3 months out of school.  So I scheduled breaks throughout the school year, and we will of course have a break here before we begin our summer work, and another break between summer and fall. 

Well, that's about all that's going on in our exciting lives right now.  Time to go switch laundry and get another cup of coffee.  Hope everyone is well!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for visiting Shannon!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment(s) on the blog today, Kate! Yes, let's be friends in real life sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things have turned around since I last came by. Glad to hear that you have gotten a larger house and hoping this next year will be a great one for you. Yes, I still count years by school years. When school starts, the new year begins!

    ReplyDelete