Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday Quick Lunch!

So on Fridays, I always have a hard time figuring out what to make for lunch.  On Monday through Thursday, we eat our hot meal for lunch and have sandwiches for supper.  On Fridays, we have pizza for supper.  I know, I know; I should just make sandwiches for lunch.  Well, truth be told, sometimes I do.  But many Fridays, I really just want to do something different.  Now, it IS Friday, so I want it to be quick and easy.  But different.  Whenever possible.

So today I made something new.  Actually, it wasn't totally new; I altered a recipe I've made many times in the past in a pie pan.  Today, I made it in muffin cups.  

Start with a 12-cup muffin tin (or two 6-cup tins.  Or however many you want.).  Preheat your oven to 350 F.  Save yourself a headache later, and SPRAY YOUR TIN.  Trust me.  You want to do this.  (Have you guessed yet that I forgot??)

In each cup, put several pieces of broccoli.  I put enough to fill up almost half the cup.  I like my kids to have lots of veggies.  Then, spoon about 2 TBSP of cottage cheese in with the broccoli.  The cups will look almost full.  That is A-OK.


Scramble up a dozen eggs (or one for each muffin cup).  I started with six, thinking there was no way I had enough room in each of those cups for a whole egg.  WRONG.  I had exactly enough room left in each cup for a whole egg.  I scrambled mine in my pyrex two-cup measuring cup, so that I could just pour them right into the cups.

Pour egg into each cup.  Pour SLOWLY.  The egg white will want to find its way down between the cracks, but since it's all connected, if you pour too fast you will have egg all over the tin.  Fill the cups all the way to the brim.  I made two passes, since it took a few seconds for the egg to fill in all the cracks and empty spaces.


Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  There will be some water runoff from the broccoli; don't worry about that.  Then sprinkle a little bit of cheese on top (I used mozzarella) and stick it back in the oven for another two minutes.

Voila!


Separate them from the edges of the cups with a butter knife, while they are still hot.  Use a spoon to scoop out onto a plate or bowl.

Enjoy!



*When I've made this in a pie plate, I have used several variations, including ham, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, chicken, and I'm sure a few other things I can't remember right now.  I used this one today, because my kids are broccoli snobs.

If you try this with any other variations, please feel free to share!



1 dozen eggs, scrambled
Broccoli (or other veggies/meats)
Cottage cheese
Shredded cheese (any kind)

Preheat oven to 350 F and spray muffin tin(s).
Put several pieces of broccoli and 2 TBSP cottage cheese in each muffin cup.
Slowly pour egg into each cup, allowing egg to fill into spaces.  Fill to brim.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
Sprinkle cheese on top of each cup and bake for an additional 2 minutes.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good, easy dinner. I make such a mess when I bake with cupcake pans. I am currently baking chocolate cupcakes, and the pans are a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they will taste good, but it made a MESS. I will probably try to NOT fill the cups all the way again. It is not only all over the tin, but the bottom of my oven as well! (They do smell delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear they made such a mess for you! I always fill them and have never had them spill over. I hope you have better luck next time when you don't fill them all the way! :-) Hope you enjoyed them anyway!

      Delete